Fire is something that glows and burns. When a fire is burning, it does not go unnoticed, it is seen. Often times when a fire is burning, people try to bring a fire extinguisher to put it off because it does not spare anything on its way rather it consumes it.
However, when we refer to a human being to burn, it means one who is so passionate and the passion moves him/her to do things extraordinarily. For instance, in the book of Acts, when Jesus told his disciples to wait at the upper room for the baptism of fire, they waited and when the fire came, they could no longer hide nor keep quiet. They became bold that Peter who denied being with Jesus could speak up and in that meeting he won three thousand men for Christ. The fire of God burned through them. When someone begins to burn for Christ, He/she becomes strong, bold and outspoken. At the other hand, when someone is not burning, the person is weak and fearful.
In this time and season, it is time for youths to stand their ground and burn for Christ; for the earnest expectation of the creature waits for the manifestation of the sons of God. When one is burning, he/she is passionate and is emotionally attached to his/her passion. A lot of people are burning for different things; some burn for fashion, hair-do, social media, music, dance, sex, food etc. They are desperate and can do anything to get what they want because they are crazy about that. In the same vein anyone who burns for Christ, must be passionate and desperate to get the fire of God burning in and through him/her.
CHARACTERISTICS OF THOSE BURNING FOR CHRIST
- They love God and the things of God. They always worship and praise God. If one doesn’t love God, he/she cannot burn for Christ.
- They are very prayerful. One cannot actually burn for Christ physically. One can only burn for Christ through prayers. He/she can only communicate with God through prayer and only through such intimacy that one can catch the fire to burn.
- They study the word of God all the time.
- They are totally sold out. They see God in everything about themselves. They can’t stay with you, without talking about Jesus.
- Ungodly friends can quench one’s fire.
- Covetousness; taking what does not belong to one, can quench one’s fire.
- Being stubborn to authority and the word of God quenches fire.
- Sin – living in immorality quenches fire
- Lack of finances. Just like the bible says; “the love of money is the root of all evil.”
- Envy and jealousy quenches fire.
HOW TO CATCH THE FIRE TO BURN FOR CHRIST
- Fellowshipping with God develops intimacy.
- Disassociating with bad friends. Evil communication corrupts good manners.
- Avoid watching movies that have a negative influence.
- Being temperate and avoid offences.