Relationship can be defined as the way in which two or more people or things are connected or the state of being connected. It could be between the opposite sex or same-sex.
The word decent can be said to be something of an acceptable standard; something satisfactory.
Having a decent relationship is achievable in this dispensation where youths have decided to make life choices irrespective of how decent/godly they are, claiming it’s their sole decision to make. But that is a wrong mindset and a wrong assertion. You see, the life one lives here is governed by God even though one has the responsibility to make their choices.
Therefore, a decent relationship can exist between the opposite sex without having sexual intimate strings attached to it. there are a few tips to help one in building a decent relationship.
- Good Communication: Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians 15:33, Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners. There are certain kinds of discussion that two opposite sex engage in that will automatically make it a sexual one. If they only discuss about love, sex, without a substantial topic as career, academics etc, that relationship will utterly be corrupted.
- Love: In the book of John, he wrote that perfect love casted away fear. If there is no genuine love among the parties in a relationship, they won’t be honest with each other.
- Commitment: For a relationship to thrive decently, both parties involved should be committed to the relationship. If they are not committed to each other, falsehood is inevitable.
- Empathy: Unresolved arguments in a relationship can cause a lot of fights, disagreements and most times abuse.
- Trust: Allows both parties to know and understand each other and causes either of the parties to know that they truly care and supports each other. It also lets both parties know they can’t hurt each other.
- Vulnerability: This allows both parties to know themselves fully, their thoughts, feelings, challenges and weaknesses.